KLH Conveyancing

Get in touch with us

phone iconCall us

Suite 24, 15 Terminus Street, Castle Hill

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do to list my property for sale?

You need to appoint both a real estate agent and a Conveyancer/Solicitor to act for you in selling your property. It is a good idea to have a few agents look at the property and give you their ideas as to the best way to market your property. It is important that you check what commission the agent will be charging you, and what other fees, such as advertising expenses will be charged. We can provide you with a competitive quote for our Licensed Conveyancer to act on the sale of your property.

When do I need to instruct a Conveyancer?

It is really best to do this when you decide to list your property for sale. Your agent won’t be able to market your property until they have a full and complete contact for sale. Although we can obtain most of the documents that need to be included in the contract on line and instantly, the council zoning certificate that is required to be included can take up to 7 business days to obtain.

On a Purchase it is best to instruct a Conveyancer the moment you find a property you like. It is at this stage they can read over the Contract and provide advise on moving forward to ensure you avoid the pit falls of purchasing property.

How do I instruct you to act on my behalf?

Call us in the first instance. We can take your contact details over the phone, and provide you with a written costs agreement, and a list of the information that we need in order to properly prepare your contract.

Is it better to have a Solicitor or a Conveyancer act for me?

At KLH Conveyancing all of your work will be carried out by our Licensed Conveyancer. The vast majority of conveyancing matters don’t require a solicitor to become involved. It is usually only if a problem arises that is of a legal nature, that one of our solicitors will need to become involved in managing your transaction. If that involves work that is not a standard part of a conveyancing transaction, you will be fully advised at all times of any additional cost, and those costs won’t be incurred without your specific approval.

How many times will I attend at your office?

Commonly the case is that you will not need to attend at our office at all. We understand our clients are busy in their life and often working or do not have the means to attend our office. We are happy to deal with clients by phone, e mail and video call.

What happens on settlement day?

Clients don’t attend settlement. Settlements occur electronically through the settlement platform. If you are selling, you need to move out of your property by the time and date of settlement. For example, if your settlement is booked at 3pm on a particular day, you need to vacate the property by that time, and if you are buying the property then you cannot gain access prior to that time. Usually the keys are left at the agents’ office by the vendor for the purchaser to collect.

What reports will I need?

That will depend on the property, and we will guide you in relation to what is required, and order them for you. If you are buying a house, we would normally recommend that you obtain a pest report and a building report, as you are buying the property in its current condition and state of repair, and you cannot make any complaints about faults that exist at the time you enter into the contract.

If you are buying a property that is “off the plan”, we would normally recommend that a completion report be obtained when the building is complete, to ensure that the building has been completed in a proper and workmanlike manner.

If you are buying a unit, we would normally recommend that you obtain a strata inspection report. We arrange for our agents to attend at the strata manager’s office, and inspect the records of the Owners’ Corporation to make sure that all insurance payments are up to date, and to see whether any major structural problems have been notified by any of the owners in the complex. This report will also verify the amount of the quarterly levies, and the amount of funds that the Owners’ Corporation have available to meet ongoing maintenance and repairs.

What will it cost me?

We are happy to provide you with a quote when you first contact us. We will then provide you with a detailed costs agreement, which will set out exactly what you will be charged. This fee covers all work required to complete your matter including dealing with your bank. The only time that you will be charged extra professional fees if you request us to do something that is not part of a normal conveyancing transaction. If you do request us to do an extra work, we will advise you at that time of what our costs will be. In relation to the searches that we are required legally to carry out, the cost may vary depending on your property. We only charge you the fees that we are charged for the various searches. We will be able to give you an estimate of the cost of the search fee within our quotation.

I built a structure on my property and didn’t get council approval. What should I do?

When you are selling your property, you are warranting that the property fully complies with all council requirements. If you are aware that an alteration has not been approved by council, it is important that you tell us. We can then advise you to either rectify the issue, or put appropriate clauses in the contract to disclose the defect so that you won’t be sued by the purchaser at a later time.